Thursday, May 19, 2011

Tomorrow is Friday! My weeks go by so very quickly anymore. I look forward to the weekends and Friday not because the work week is up, but more because Dillon and I have been staying busy with fun things to do on the weekends.

I love my job. Seriously. I have been here for a little over month and I look forward to each work day. It makes life out here that much sweeter.

A few weeks ago, Dillon and I went out to eat with Mark and Erika to a restaurant in the National Harbor in Maryland. We got there a little bit early so that we could explore this area. There are shops and a little beach area with a pier. On the "beach," there is this very interesting sculpture called, "The Awakening." It is a 70 foot giant trying to free himself from the ground. I snapped some pictures on my phone, but here is a better view.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/2619047003_718d45302a.jpg
Here are some pictures that I took:














This is what we look like still.


That weekend we had a BBQ to go to in DC, but decided to go to the National Museum of the American Indian beforehand. Overall, the museum was ok, but the short film that they show was very cool! Please take a minute to ready about the Lelawi theater here:

http://www.nmai.si.edu/subpage.cfm?subpage=visitor&second=dc&third=theaters


It is a circular theater with three screens in the middle. Throughout the 13 minute video there are projections on the screens, the dome shaped ceiling and a rock beneath the screens. Scattered around the theater are display cases with Native American artifacts. When this tribe is being described in the video, you will hear a crackling noise and the display case lights up. l It was seriously so neat. I would recommend at least swinging by the museum to check out the short video.

I managed to sneak a few shots around the museum.






View from the 4th floor balcony.



The special exhibition at the museum was called Vantage Point and featured contemporary art from American Indians. This piece was by an artist named James Lavadour and was titled Blanket.




A close up of an individual canvas.


If you want to learn more about this exhibition, you can view this website:


All of the pieces can be seem on the "mobile site."


Last weekend, Dillon and I vegged out. We chose to not get cable or internet (to get us out of the apartment and exploring more) so we watched DVD's of The Office seasons. It was perfect.


Things are coming along in the apartment. We have gotten some more furniture (all for more storage). I will post pictures once it is a bit more together.

This weekend, however, we are going into DC to see at least one Smithsonian on Saturday. It is Dillon's birthday on Monday so we will have to celebrate for that too!


Life out here is fabulous. I hope things are great everywhere else!


Hugs from the East coast,

V

No comments:

Post a Comment